Thursday, June 19, 2008

Swimming

So when only a day before I was thinking being fluent in German was nearly useless in Vancouver as the language is rarely spoken, I find myself in two instances where I find it extremely useful.

Situation 1

Being in Cafe Roma watching Germany destroy Portugal, I am able to speak German with others around me in anticipation of German victory.

Situation 2 (A bit of a longer story)

I decide to go swimming with Tori, he is in grade eight and is quite the person let me tell you. So we are about to go up to use the water slide and on the way up the lifeguard is coming down, saying that the slide is closed. Bummer. So we decide to go sit in the hot tub for a while, and Tori decides to go ask the lifeguard if they are going to open the water slide again. He talks for quite a while and comes back telling me that, the lifeguard said no, so he told her that his friend (me) was from another country and really wanted to go on the water slide. She agrees to open it up for just one slide, and I proceed to pretend to speak German on the stairs up the slide. So I guess it is useful...

Go Deutschland!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to use the language to get what you want. Its all good. ahha

Can't wait for you to come home. It will be one big Party